April is National Garden Month!
Every April communities, organizations, and individuals nationwide celebrate gardening during National Garden Month. Gardeners know, and research confirms, that nurturing plants is good for us: attitudes toward health and nutrition improve, kids perform better at school, and community spirit grows. Join the celebration and help to make America a greener, healthier, more livable place!
Celebrate National Garden Month In Your Community…
- Organize or take part in a town beautification day. America in Bloom is a national greening organization that can help you get started. Click here to learn more.
- Visit your local farmers’ market.
- Compliment a neighbor on his or her garden.
- Get together with neighbors to purchase compost and mulch in bulk quantities. Calculate how much you
need mulch you need here! .
- Volunteer to plant and maintain a garden at your town library.
- Submit a gardening article or essay to your local paper.
- Interview an elder to learn what foods his or her family grew when he or she was a child.
- Seek out neighbors from various ethnic groups to learn about their native cuisine and gardening techniques.
- Green up your street or a local park by picking up trash.
- Share a cutting of one of your favorite landscape or houseplants with a neighbor.
- Inventory your gardening gear (e.g., pots, seeds, stakes) and donate the excess to a community gardening program or school garden.
- Celebrate other important “green” holidays: Earth Day (April 22) and National Arbor Day (April 26).
- Plant a Row for the Hungry and donate the food to your food shelf or other hunger relief agency. Learn
about Plant a Row.
- Volunteer at your local school’s garden.
- Start a neighborhood garden club.
- Share your garden’s bounty with a neighbor.
- Have fun doing a gardening project with a child.
- Deliver houseplants or flowers to a nursing home or children’s hospital.
- Donate past issues of gardening magazines to your library, or buy the library a gift subscription.
More Ways to Celebrate National Garden Month
You can find 101 ways to celebrate at National Garden Month
During National Garden Month, we are encouraging everyone to garden. If don’t have green space of your own, there are resources available to help you get started. To find a community garden in your city or town, or learn how to start one, contact the American Community Gardening Association.